yes, it’s that time again… while some of us are working hard to renew our website, actually in maintenaince mode, my attention is completely devoted to our new piece of code: the upcoming 1.0 release! I was a bit reluctant, at the beginning, to move to the fatidical 1.0 release (in my original plans, that was for when rekonq will become an official slackware package…). But if I consider what we did since that day in December, 2008… well… we probably are ready for another step. Moreover the summer plans are for a complete code “review” that will drastically change what we have now and will prepare to the future fights… so, yes! Next will really 1.0! It’s just a number, after all. 😉
So, what did we cook for such an important release? Here you are the new features list:
– sync: while rekonq can just sync bookmarks, passwords and history with an ftp site, sync bookmarks (just them for now) with google and opera services has been added. Work on this area is just planned and will see news on every release. News and code in this area are from Siteshwar Vashisht. So, Kudos to him!
– Fancy bookmarking: rekonq can now store (and share) infos about bookmarks via nepomuk. This is 2011 gsoc by Phaneendra Hegde (link). To say the truth, I changed a bit its code to let this become our first optional feature, that is enabled just if you compile rekonq with the nepomuk libraries installed. Moreover, if you do it but you don’t use nepomuk at all, rekonq just detect it on runtime (via dbus) and falls back to the usual structure.
– rekonq pages visual improvements: Favorites page (drag & drop added, ability to reload preview), Bookmarks page (rewamped), History page (faster load showing just 2 days as default, search feature), Downloads page (initial notifications on what is happening to the downloaded file, search feature).
– More options for “privacy” and some “advanced” settings.
– Default search engine check. If user has not a default search engine set, rekonq inform him.
– Included tab history when cloning a tab via the “clone tab” action
– adblock: better widget, letting users decide with 1 click what adblock subscriptions use (similar to konq)
– adblock icon in the urlbar triggering a new dialog letting users to unblock/show blocked/hided elements
– new action to block (and hide) images.
That’s it! Just let us fix and clean up our code and hopefully next month you’ll have a shining new rekonq version in your desktop!
Cannot wait for? Download it, compile it, run it, test it…